Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Shop Manual (Vocabulary in the Classroom)

A quick google search will reveal many suggestions for teaching vocabulary in the classroom.  I found one useful page complied by Mrs. G that includes lots of different teachers idea's for activities to do help increase vocabulary.  This can be found on the ProTeacher website at the URL http://www.proteacher.org/c/694_Vocabulary_Lesson_Ideas.html.  I found this page to have lots of games that could be modified to be used in any classroom from ELL to Social Studies.  Most of these games are very simply aimed at repeating vocabulary words enough times that students become 100% familiar with them.

2 comments:

  1. One of my high school Spanish teachers taught using games nearly every day and many of the students scoffed at the methods but I learned more in her class than in any of the other four Spanish teachers' classes I took. If the games are pertinent to the topic I fully support their use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I contemplated putting up a site with a few vocab games as well. I think the games are a good way to have the students actively engaged in the vocabulary, as well as, enjoy the process of learning itself. I agree that repetition is important for students to become comfortable with the words.

    ReplyDelete